I’ve been accumulating news snippets about the as-yet-to-be-formally-scheduled release of Guild Wars 2 for an email newsletter I send out to my friends and acquaintances in the Guild Wars community.
Part 1: Discussion of previous news
- If you listen to podcasts, you might want to subscribe to the Guildcast weekly podcast
- Reminder: the official Guild Wars 2 wiki is still growing, so it’s worth checking it out now and again for new information.
- Hunter’s Insight: How to Lose Guildies and Alienate People in Vent. “Ventrilo is a program that allows you to speak to your guildies. Some times it allows you to speak too much to your guildies. So how do you avoid being the guy on vent everyone has on mute? Hopefully this post will have a few helpful hints on how you can interact in a more acceptable manner, and hopefully avoid causing unneeded annoyance and a guild kick.”
Part 2: Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, and EotN news
- Reminder: If you’d like to keep track of the Guild Wars Beyond material, keep this page bookmarked.
- Reminder: Guild Wars official support forum. Here is the FAQ page for the forums.
- GuildMag issue 8. “It’s November already, the temperature outside is dropping rapidly for those on the northern part of our world and so you’ll be spending more time at home. Have no fear though — our new issue will be there to keep you entertained! While we’re hard at work rebooting our podcast under a new name: Dynamically Spoken and looking at the way we’re currently distributing the magazine we managed to create this new magazine for you all to read.”
Part 3: Guild Wars 2 news
- Flameseeker Chronicles: The news doors haven’t shut… yet. “More news! More updates! Be still my heart! No, seriously. It does my fangirl heart such good to see all of these cool updates and details about Guild Wars 2 over the past few weeks. Between the animation updates, the skill updates, and the earnings call, there’s plenty to discuss.”
- Guild Wars 2 Goes G-Star. “As you may have heard, Guild Wars 2 had a tremendous showing at G-Star, Korea’s #1 game tradeshow last week. We had the largest booth so far for Guild Wars 2, with over 60 demo stations. Each day of the show all of our demo stations were occupied within 120 seconds flat, and we had hours that were four times the length of the huge booth.”
- Guild Wars 2: A Budding Obsession. “World of Warcraft frightens me. With three expansions, 10 million subscribers, and the looming threat of kung fu panda warriors, it stands atop an unassailable mountain, taunting amateur MMO players with a wave of its banner. Meanwhile, Guild Wars 2 already poured me a cup of tea, inviting me in with a smarter way of doing this whole MMO thing. “
- Talk Tyria: The Curious Case of Race in Guild Wars 2. “The typical demographic divisions are an oft-examined subject in gaming. Gender and sexuality are the most regularly explored (usually fuelled by the ubiquitous scantily clad portrayal of the female form in MMOs and fantasy RPGs in general). Race, however, is an altogether more difficult concept to grasp in games. The stereotyping isn’t quite so “in your face” — for example, games which dictate that all female armour must look like there was a dramatic shortage of leather and plate are a dime-a-dozen, but I don’t think there are many games which say that if you’re white you have to wear one armour and if you’re black you must wear another. It’s certainly a strange dichotomy — why should your gender dictate your armour style, but your race shouldn’t? Or, more succinctly: why should either? The upshot is that race is usually expressed in character creation processes through choosing “skin colour” or “facial structure”.”
- Kill Ten Rats: [GW2] Valley of Movement and Microexpressions. “ArenaNet’s Chuck Jackman (pronounced as Scottish as possible) shows off the new dialogue cut scenes in Guild Wars 2 in one of the latest blog posts. Unequivocally, he started the doom of ArenaNet and Guild Wars 2 by having to summon eldritch gods to get the job done. It is possible that everybody will be insane/dead before a beta starts. Still, which do you think is scarier, Cthulhu or an art director that has probably already bested a few of those gods? “
- RevGaming’s GW2 Build Tool.